Creamy Vidalia Onion Soup:
6 tablespoons butter
5 pounds Vidalia onions, sliced
2 thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons sugar
2 celery ribs, finely diced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 cup sherry
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 quarts chicken stock or vegetable stock
1-2 cups of white country bread, crumbled
Kosher salt & fresh cracked black pepper
1. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a heavy pot.
2. Add the onions, thyme and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until onions are softened.
3. Add sugar, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized.
4. Remove onion to a bowl and set aside.
5. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in pot and add celery, garlic and bay leaf and cook for 2-3 minutes. Increase heat and add sherry. Reduce by half.
6. Add back onion and add chicken stock. Cook for about 30 minutes.
7. Add heavy cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Add bread to soup and stir until incorporated.
9. Puree the soup in a food processor or blender.10. Season with salt and pepper.
Photo by Hope Philbrick.