Saturday, January 30, 2010

Another Reason I'm Glad I'm Southern: Chess Pie Recipe



When you grow up with such deliciousness as chess pie you tend to take it for granted. Much to my surprise I recently learned that many of my friends had never had this wonderful, sugary treat. Seems it's a Southern thing. That led me to ask my mother for a recipe to share. She had a blast looking through all her versions to find my great-grandmother Tootie's version. She said she found coconut and pineapple chess pies, one that called for Damson preserves and a meringue on top (as if it isn't rich enough!), and one that called for "1/2 eggshell" milk!




Here's Tootie's version. It's soooo easy that I might even try it myself!




CHESS PIE

1/3 c. butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 T cornmeal
2 T milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Sprinkle of nutmeg

Cream butter & sugar; add cornmeal. Add eggs, one at a time; add milk. Add vanilla & nutmeg.
Pour mixture into readymade piecrust, either homemade or purchased.
Bake 375 degrees until brown.


(thanks to RoadFood for the photo that looks most like the ones I remember)


1 comment:

The Broke Socialite said...

*salivating* I'm a true country girl so this post was right on time. Nothing beats a good chess pie except having it with a tall glass of lemonade. Summer? Where are you?