Saturday, October 4, 2008

Dogwood's New Menu is Awesome

I love birthdays! Especially mine. These people who don't want to celebrate theirs, well, I just don't get them.

So, last weekend was my birthday and I decided to head to Dogwood. They have a new fall menu I was dying to try and it's just such a pretty, special restaurant. We could not have been happier with the choice. Makes me wish I was getting a year older again this week. Okay, not really.

We started with the grits bar, of course. The Logan Turnpike "Fools Gold" grits have new toppings and we chose the braised forest mushrooms. YUM. Then we had the seared foie gras with smoked pumpkin, pecan-raisin toast and red wine-black pepper gastrique. Y'all. This was unbelievably good. Decadent. A must have. To balance the sinfulness of that dish we chose a soup for our other app - a root vegetable puree with a wild boar-cranberry sausage and lingonberries. Licked the bowl. Sure did.

For entrees I encouraged my friend to have the signature SoCo glazed pork chop with carmelized shallots and the most delicious sweet corn souffle while I tried a new dish - pecan rubbed tuna with fingerling potatoes, applewood smoked bacon, carmelized onions and bar-b-que drizzle. Another hit!

The nice folks at Dogwood insisted that we have dessert since it was my birthday. I chose the coffee gelato which really was the perfect ending. We also had the fried bread pudding that was delicious. On Friday, Meridith Ford Goldman gave the restaurant a glowing review in the Atlanta Journal Constitution - I see she had many of the same dishes I had!

If you haven't been to Dogwood yet, I encourage you to try it, even if it's not your birthday!

No comments: